The general purpose of this position is to support outsourced parts for production programs in our supply chain. The incumbent will be a manufacturing expert working virtually independently in Xiamen, China as part of the Supply Chain Engineering team.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
This position will be based in Xiamen, China and reports to the Supply Chain Manufacturing Engineering Manager, Asia region and will interface on a regular basis with supplier quality, commodity leads, supplier performance managers, supply chain engineering, suppliers and customers around the globe. Due to the fact that he/she will be interfacing with multiple time zones it is to be expected that phone calls will take place outside the normal work day timeframe.
The incumbent will work directly with suppliers to understand their manufacturing processes, techniques and risks and assist them in successfully producing Company quality hardware. Inevitably suppliers have manufacturing problems and the incumbent will be expected to evaluate the situation, determine root cause and guide the suppliers through to successful implementation of a corrective action. Company outsources the majority of our plating, coating and heat treatment as do a number of our suppliers, the incumbent must must have good knowledge of all OSP related activity and the ability to assist suppliers with their processes. The incumbent will be expected to understand the basic design performance requirements and manufacturing techniques of the outsourced products enabling him/her to make good independent educated decisions in the field and produce safe risk free parts. The Sr Manufacturing Engineer will assist suppliers with developing their manufacturing procedures via PRA’s and workshops typically at the supplier’s site.
He / She must be capable of detailed blue print interpretation and preparing accurate ‘should cost’ estimates for new proposal targets and have a good knowledge of manufacturing time standards.
The incumbent needs to use his/her experience and good judgment in helping to develop, adapt and modify suppliers manufacturing engineering processes, he/she must help solve suppliers manufacturing problems.
These problems may arise for any number of reasons such as tooling, machine tool, gauging, heat treating, and plating. The solution of these problems may require the Manufacturing Engineer's decision alone, or could result in contacting and working with other members of the Manufacturing Engineering Department, Company Product or Design Engineers, Quality Assurance personnel, M & P Engineers, Inspectors or Purchasing. The Sr Manufacturing Engineer must possess the human relations skills necessary to work effectively with a variety of people.
The incumbent must be prepared to travel approx. 25% of his/her time mostly in the Asian region however occasional travel to other countries and other Company sites will be required.
The background required to perform this position is a B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 10 years related manufacturing engineering experience, gear manufacturing expertise will be a plus. In addition a good working knowledge of Asian cultures would be an advantage.
1. Support the fabrication of simple, medium and complex machined parts and sub-assemblies at our suppliers facilities.
2. Assure suppliers manufacturing techniques produce safe risk free Company quality hardware.
3. Understand next level performance requirements.
4. Coordinate with various supplier and Company personnel around the globe to assure the most effective manufacturing techniques are utilized at suppliers facilities.
5. Establishes standard times for setup and run of each operation on assigned parts.
6. Originate and conduct studies directed towards more efficient manufacturing of parts.
7. Perform root cause and corrective action analysis.
8. Technical ability to make recommendations for changes in equipment, processes, methods, materials and designs.
9. Understand and recommend tooling, gaging and fixture concepts. Review and approve suppliers tool, gaging and fixture design drawings.
10. Ability, confidence and personality to Technically direct, guide or train suppliers Manufacturing Engineers,
11. Ability to interface upward and downward at suppliers and Company sites around the world.
12. Represent Company in a manner consistent with our industry reputation
13. Excellent English verbal and writing skills.