Job title : Job Supervisor Level 1-2
Pay levels 6 to 8
Location – Sydney Wide
Sydney Water is Australia's largest water and wastewater service provider. Every day, we proudly protect the health of our community by providing safe, refreshing drinking water. Our wastewater network protects the health of our rivers and beaches, which are central to our iconic, outdoor way of life. By working hand in hand with community, government and industry we create bold new solutions that enhance our cities sustainability and lifestyle.
The Civil Projects unit of Sydney Water carries out major construction & maintenance work to civil assets that require replacement or reconstruction. They are seeking 2 experienced working Job Supervisors with “Can Do” attitudes to join the team.
Some of the aspects of the role are outlined below. However, it is the candidate who displays their constructive behaviors and is prepared to always work safely will be successful. While the civil projects team focuses on major construction maintenance, the team will also be expected to assist with reactive maintenance on an ad hoc basis. Therefore, you need to be flexible, being able to respond in high priority jobs as well maintaining current projects is essential. Occasionally you will be required to be available for either Day or Night Shift, or work overtime due to the requirements of some jobs.
The Job Supervisor must ensure the effective day to day coordination, planning and direct supervision of work teams, (including contractors), as they undertake a variety of civil construction works. As a working Supervisor, you will to working alongside your team, mentoring and guiding them as per the project brief. This is a hands on role and you must be prepared to get your hands dirty.
Key to successfully carrying out this role are:
- Understanding that safety comes first and is not negotiable. Ensuring compliance with Work Health and Safety legislation.
- Understanding of job briefs, scoping and estimating in conjunction with project teams and being able to align key activities in accordance.
- Understand environmental compliance.
- Establish clear plans and timeframes for project implementation and outline specific activities in delivery.
- Identifying critical gaps
- Monitoring team activities project progress and compliance with construction policies and procedures.
- Gathering and investigating information from a variety of sources and exploring new ideas and different viewpoints
- Maintaining and monitoring best practice and safety
- Judgement, intelligence and common sense.
- Building team capacity and responsiveness.
- Review performance and focus on identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Identify team performance capabilities and deficiencies, providing guidance, training and mentoring.
- Work seamlessly with subcontractors, clients and internal staff in providing exceptional service.
- Being prepared to work on the sewerage system.
You will be working with every type of civil project from repair or construction of new water, waste and storm assets. These can be large complex repairs, renewals. They may involve earthworks, deep excavations, dewatering, piling, concreting, steel fixing, flow meter/valve replacements, decommissioning and commissioning of pipelines, tank relining, water main renewals, kerb and guttering, traverse tunnel work etc. Jobs may involve using Sydney Water Plant and Equipment from excavators, backhoe, bobcat, compactors, pipe cutters, pumps and hand tools and equipment supplied by contractors.
Skills being sought:
Concreting, construction, formwork, steel fixing, infrastructure pipe laying, carpentry, excavation
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Certificate III in Civil Construction or relevant industry experience
- Recent experience in the construction methods and techniques used in project delivery
- Relevant knowledge and experience of water and waste water infrastructure highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, lead and coordinate day to day supervision
- Demonstrated ability in project management experience, including monitoring work performance and quality compliance.
- Ability to interpret project, safety and environment plans.
- Have effective interpersonal, negotiation, written and oral communication skills
- Computer literate and able to complete all paperwork and prepare reports as required
- Be prepared to travel within the entire area of Sydney Waters area of operation
- White Card
- Current MR/HR Licence (or able to obtain within 3 months of employment)
- RMS – Driving Record to be produced if selected for interview
- Police Check – to be produced if selected for interview
(Medical Check will be conducted prior to offer. Full Background Check will be completed after commencement by Sydney Water)
Highly Desired Tickets/Licences/Experience:
- Confined Space
- Overhead Wire Safety
- Rigging and Dogging
- Formwork and Steel Fixing
- Desirable – Water & Wastewater asset construction Experience
Day Shift Rate: $37.89 - $41.63/hr + Super – 38 Hours per week, determined on skill level.
Overtime part of the role (there is overtime required for this role, so ability to work until the job is complete is essential) Annual Leave: 4 Weeks + 17.5% Leave Loading
Subject to satisfactory performance after probation of 3 months the hourly rate may increase.
For a confidential discussion please contact Toni Jacobson on 9615 5316 or email your application with Cover Letter prior to the closing date. Do not apply to the Sydney Water website.
Please refer to the job description on website or ask for copy for further information.
Closing date: COB Friday 9 December 2016
Sydney Water is unable to employ any former public sector employee within the period covered by their severance payment, without that public sector employee first repaying the relevant proportion of their severance pay. Sydney Water is also unable to employ any former public service senior executive within the period covered by any compensation payment under their former contract, without that former public service senior executive first repaying the relevant proportion of their compensation. This requirement applies to former employment or engagement in any capacity as staff members, contractors, consultants or employees or principals of companies engaged in contracting to a public sector agency. You may be required to complete a declaration as part of the recruitment process.