The Local Government Policy Officer is responsible for contributing to the drafting of policy and the provision of advice relating to the legislative and administrative arrangements with Local Government and for facilitating the administration of Natural Disaster funding to Councils for the restoration of damaged local roads and other specific purpose funding initiatives.
The Local Government Policy Officer will also:
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key regional personnel.
- Contribute to the development and regular review of the Section’s communication strategy, to ensure the effective and efficient dissemination of information to Local Government and other key stakeholders.
- Coordinate the provision of timely legislative and policy advice, and analysis reports.
- Implement funding and administrative reforms in consultation with different regions to ensure a state-wide and consistent approach.
- Develop and maintain policies, procedures and guidelines in consultation with regional personnel to support the effective administration of specific purpose grants for a number of projects.
- Working closely with regions to gather data and undertake analysis regarding reform proposals.
- Provide high level project support for the development and implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Maintain accurate and up to date registers of relevant information and coordinating communications via newspapers and the internet.
- Researching and preparing reports, briefing papers and responses to Ministerial, political, stakeholder and community enquiries to ensure accurate information is provided on local government issues.
The Local Government Policy Officer will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in a related discipline or extensive relevant experience.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including the proven ability to influence, negotiate, develop and maintain collaborative relationships at all levels.
- Experience of project management and program co-ordination and the ability to meet challenging deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, evaluation and promulgation of policy in a complex environment.
- Ability to think strategically and understand the wider implications of decisions.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.